After going through a couple iterations of joint designs for the n-Hedral system, I finally landed on something that looked like it would work:
I had and assembly of the design, however, I needed to see whether the joint would be strong enough. So I decided to quickly make one with some sheathing plywood I had laying around. My Shapeoko only has a 7″ x 7″ working area, so that would mean I’d have to make each component cut separately. To save time, I used hand tools to cut out the panels. Using my trusty circular saw, jig saw, and drill with forstner bits, I created the general shape of the panels. Then I finished off the notches with a chisel and mallet.
While I was doing this, I had my set of connectors printing on my Makerfarm Prusa i3:
Once completed, it was time for assembly:
In about 4 hours of work, I was able to produce a proof-of-concept prototype. Complete with custom connectors and all. From here, I was able to move forward and refine the design slightly, and then move into final prototyping.Click here to see the next installment of n-Hedral – Behind the Scenes!