The last half of 2014 was pretty busy. However, between moving across the country, starting a new job, and exploring a new city… I still managed to find time for some projects. After getting set up in my new home, I unpacked the 3D printer, and started trying to print. My workspace ended up being adjacent to the bedroom, however, and it turned out the the noise from the Makerfarm Prusa i3, is just way too loud. So, I decided to build an enclosure!
I started off with some sketches, trying to come up with a design that was easy enough to build in my garage with only hand tools, but with a bit of aesthetic flare. I had some 12mm Baltic Birch plywood leftover from my N-Hedral project, and decided to use it in the construction.
I came up with the idea of making the door a removable bent polycarbonate sheet, so most of my sketches ended up revolving around that concept. However, before committing to the idea, I had to do some testing to see if I would be able to make the nice, large radius bend that I wanted.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the bend I was looking for, so I went back to the drawing board.
The next step was to model it in Solidworks to generate exact dimensions for fabrication. You can download an STL of the design on Thingiverse!
With the design complete, it was time to buy materials and begin building! Click Here to go to the next part of the build!