With the 3D printer enclosure design complete, it was time to build! The enclosure walls were made from 3/4″ MDF for increased sound damping. It also happens to be super cheap and easy to work with.
With the main walls assembled, I then took some time to create a nice 1/2″ radius fillets on each corner joint.
Because I am a terrible carpenter, there were a lot of uneven joint seams. The next step was to even out these surfaces, and then seal and sand the MDF for painting.
The next task was to drill some holes for filament, and the cabling.
I painted the exterior with satin white spray paint and then cut some 1/4″ polycarbonate to size, sanding the edges to remove material until it fit perfectly.
Next, I measured and cut the baltic birch plywood to size and rounded the corners for a consistent 3/8″ offset from the white MDF piece.
After sealing, sanding, and using glossy spray shellac to finish the wood, I attached the panels to the white enclosure body with dowels and glue.
With the enclosure fabrication complete, the next step was to design some 3D printed components to finish out the enclosure! Take a look at the next installment here.